Wednesday, August 20, 2014

How does your garden grow?


I think I got my green thumb from my Father. From the time I can remember we've always had plants in our apartment in New Jersey growing up. I would help to transplant them when they out grew their pots. When we moved to Florida and we had a proper back yard my Dad would save and plant dates, coconuts, he even tried to plant pistachios ( those did not grow well). I joined in and planted Sun flowers, Amaryllis and Paper whites. Now that I am back to apartment living, I still enjoy getting my hands dirty so to speak. My current "garden" contains a Pineapple plant, Celery and Turmeric.

This is my second Pineapple plant and it is most definitely ready to transplant it to the ground, it has grown tremendously since all the Summer rains. Pineapple is the easiest to grow, just cut the top off of a fresh pineapple and you have a new plant. I saw a tip on local television if you peel away the bottom leaves close to the base about 1-1/12 inches up you will start to see the roots of the plant. All you have to do is just plant it in a pot or in your garden, before you know it you will have a Pineapple plant.

Next on my list is Celery, again it's easy to grow, just cut the base of the celery bulb and place in a small dish with water, soon enough you will start to see yellow-green shoots coming from the center. I then moved the bulb to a pot of soil about 2 weeks after it "caught". As soon as I transplanted it in to the earth,the yellow-green shoots turned a gorgeous deep green. This picture is about 2 weeks after it was in the dirt, best part is it has that bright Celery scent already. 

My newest go at growing something is Turmeric root. I've talked about all the benefits to Turmeric in a previous post. This is more than just a natural food colorant, Turmeric is one of the greatest super foods we have. Turmeric like the Pineapple grows from itself. The roots start to produce sprouts and roots which once planted in the soil become a plant, you can then harvest the roots after the leafy tops start to turn yellow and have all new Turmeric roots to use and even plant more. 

 

I'm excited to see how my Turmeric plant grows and getting the chance to use my own homegrown Turmeric in my soaps! These plants for the most part are low maintenance and for me, fun to watch grow and develop.I'll keep you posted on my "harvest" ...lol


2 comments:

  1. Thank for the "green thumbs" up on the turmeric plants. I may have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please do... I'm super excited to see how far my plants have come :)

    ReplyDelete