Tuesday, January 6, 2015

New Year, New Life

Greetings and Happy New Year!

I know I have been MIA from posting and at first it was due to writer's block and then it was due to my Father's passing. It was sudden and 2 days before my birthday in October. Needless to say the Holidays were not as jolly as in years past, it was my first season with out both of my parents. My Mother passed away 5 years prior. However, I tried to make the most of it for my son, he is 3 and it was the first time decorating a tree. He was too small before and why schlep out the heavy, pre-lite faux tree, only to decorate the top half so he does not "play" with the ornaments. In memory of my parents we bought keepsake ornaments to hang up. Darin picked out one for his "Pappy" and the Hubby helped me pick out one for my Mom this year. It was a rather emotional holiday but as holidays do, it came and went then the New Year approached.

I am not a big fan of the New Year with all it's "Today is a blank page of a 365 page book" "Make it your year" or every single diet, fitness, aerobic workout, now skinny B class celebrity commercial assaulting my eyes and mind till March. Humbug I say, HUMBUG! If every overweight person on the planet lost weight then these people would be out of a job.. I can't be responsible for taking away someone's lively hood... I will not do it, don't ask me. ::Evil Laugh::

I digress.. though the New year is all fine and dandy... the best part of this particular year is new life. Yes, of course I know each year brings new life but this year there will be 2 new additions to our family so far.. No, it's not me. But my BIL and his wife as well as our Cousins are expecting this year.
I've spoken before in an older blog of the barrage of advice you receive as an expecting parent. But, now that I have gone trough the phase of expecting Mother to new Mom I am guilty of doling out advice warranted or not. I have come to realize that this is how we learn to care for our babies and truly build a support system to help us through the most important job we will ever have, parenthood. I must note that not all advice is good advice but that is where good judgement and common sense come in to play. To me, my support system was invaluable, since my son was born a year after my Mother was gone, I had the support of Mothers in all stages of parenthood to help guide me.

Much like a new year, a new life is one filled with hope and optimism. It is filled with purity, joy and the anticipation of what comes next. Yet, as much hope and forward thinking we have, we must also remember to live in the now. For now, this very moment in time will never come back again. My best piece of advise not just for expecting Mothers or new Moms but for everyone is enjoy the now, the good, bad, ugly and in between. Enjoy the now because you will never have it again.
Make it your year!

No comments:

Post a Comment