Monday, February 24, 2014

Choo, Choo... We are Two! Thomas the Train Party

For Darin's 2nd Birthday we had a Thomas the Tank and Friends Birthday Party. Darin was just introduced to these characters and he was mesmerized by the sights and sounds of the trains. For this party I made the following items, Cupcake toppers, Candy bar wrappers, and Piñata.

For the cupcake toppers I use images from the internet for the Thomas Characters. As for the number two and the Railroad crossing I created those images in Adobe Illustrator. I also used 2 different punches one 2" scalloped and 1 1/2" round for the images. These were simply adhered to lollypop sticks that you can purchase at any local craft store.
There were a ton of treats at this party, Cake, cupcakes, cookies ( they were gone before I could get a picture) and even Chocolate.

Next craft project was custom candy wrappers. These I set up in Adobe Illustrator but you can easily use PowerPoint or Word to create candy wrappers. I set up the document to measure 5.25 x 5 which will cover a regular sized Hershey bar. If you would like the "classic" look of the foil on the sides you can pre-wrap the bars in foil and then the custom wrapper.

Lastly, I made a pull string Piñata. I prefer the Piñatas that pull open especially for the younger children it is much safer than beating something with a stick. I used items I had around the house and also an image of Thomas the Tank from some party back drops that I purchased from Party City. Also, one of the best tool are my Martha Stewart Fringe scissors.

http://www.julietiu.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/DSC_0750.jpg 
Photo from: www.julietiu.com - 640 × 425

To start,  I cut a panel out from the box I leave 1/4 inch boarder. Wrap the panel in a sheet of tissue paper, then using curling ribbon I cut several lengths of ribbon in the coordinating colors and attached them with packing tape. Wrap the box in one layer of tissue. For the fringe I took strips of tissue paper approx. 4x18 folded in half so the fringe will be 2x18 after being cut. Tape the strips starting at the bottom of the box and layering tissue strips in different colors all the way to the top. Be sure to drill two holes at the top of the box and run some ribbon through to create a hanger. Fill the box with treats and replace the panel... Check back for the full tutorial on how to make your own Piñata.




All in all it was a wonderful day and best of all Darin had fun! Hope you are inspired to throw your own Thomas the Tank theme Party!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment