Monday, February 17, 2014

The Birth of The Water Bottle Soap Co.

Picture it Christmas 2007, while trying to figure out what my annual homemade gift to all my friends would be, I came across an article in a Martha Stewart magazine dedicated to homemade holiday gifts. In it she spoke about how easy it is to make handmade soap using vintage tins and flutes pie tins as molds, even yogurt cups make great molds. A light bulb when off in my head, I would make soaps for Christmas... but, I don't have vintage tins or yogurt cups. I felt like Winnie the Pooh, when he is thinking....as I took a sip of water from the bottle it hit me. Literally, I put the cap on and went to place it back on the table, missed and it landed on my foot. As I picked it up I noticed the bottom looked like a flower. That would be a cute shape for soap. Right away I searched on Google for "how to make soap". I found a company who was selling starter kits, that included soap, colors and fragrances, even a handy how to.

When the package arrived I could not wait. I'd been saving bottles for 2 weeks now so I knew I had enough molds. I cut the bottles carefully, gave them a good rinse in hot soapy water and dried them meticulously, I followed the directions to the "T" to melt the soap, add fragrance and began to pour them. What a rush of making something from scratch. After the soap hardened I tried to unmold them....It was not as easy as I had hoped. They just didn't "pop" out, I have since learned that the "molds" are a one time use. No matter, I wrapped my soaps in cling wrap, and stacked 4 in an organza bag. Some I shipped others I hand delivered. It was during one of those "deliveries" to my best friends house that inspiration hit.

Everyone was so appreciative of the gifts, however they thought I just put soap in a bag and that was the gift.
Um... no the soap is the gift. Everyone in awe and unison asking me how did you make the soap, what is your inspiration, you should start a business. Stop the presses, me, start a soap business... I pondered that for a couple of days. I let it marinate and seep into my brain. That's it, I had to do this. I had to try to make these little soaps into a business. Thus, the Water Bottle Soap co. was established.

Over the years I have made many strides in providing a natural, Eco-Friendly product. Since water bottles can be recycled, using them as molds is a great way to give them on more use before recycling. Making my soaps "green". I wrap them in Eco- friendly wraps, print on Eco-friendly label paper, when shipping orders I reuse boxes and clean packing materials whenever I can. The soap bases are all natural made from coconut oil and safflower oil, they are vegan, Kosher and contain no animal byproducts nor at anytime during the process are they animal tested. The positive response to my soaps are gratifying and humbling. I look forward to proving the best soaps that are environmentally friendly.

No comments:

Post a Comment